I have severly neglected my blog for many moons now and so much has happened! I won first prize in the Colette Patterns Laurel Fall/Winter category which was so exciting - I was able to choose a heap of goodies from Sew Squirrel, Stitch56, Schnittchen and Indie Stitches! I've been working on a few different projects here and there - but most important to me has been my graduation dress!
I chose the Butterick 6582 which I had previously made up in the wiggle version. This time I went for the dramatic fuller skirt and accompanied with a petticoat for extra volume!
I lined the bodice with the technique described in Gertie's Book for Better Sewing attaching it to the facings, using some scrap satin. I really wanted to line the bodice and maintain a clean edge and this was the perfect technique.
I didn't have the proper 'belting' material that the pattern asked for so I improvised with some extra layers of interfacing and used a belt buckle with a prong.
And here is the finished product - it didn't take very long to make - it was more just my laziness organising to get an eyelet punched in the belt before it could be photographed 100% complete.
I used some upholstery fabric my grandma gave to me when she was clearing out her stash and she was quite impressed with the results...I tried to put a bit of effort into my pattern piece placement to take advantage of the big beautiful design.
And I finished the petticoat from my last post - which now has a ribbon trimming around the edge! About 16 metres in fact.
So voila! A very delayed post about my retro-chair fabric-graduation dress!