Thursday, May 23, 2013

Making a petticoat

Holy. Crap. Making a petticoat - like a serious multi-layered and multi-tiered - is a substantial feat.

I have been working on one to pair with my Butterick 6582 full skirt dress. The best tutorial I found was by Sugardale : she doesn't post as much as she used to but her petticoats are to die for!




Doing a little bit of maths, I worked out that I gathered 28 metres of tulle to make a three-tier, double layer petticoat. I still have to finish the seams and hem with ribbon - but that's coming from China so it might be a couple of weeks. Looking for ribbon has pretty much confirmed that Spotlight is over priced and useless. How I loathe going to that store.

You can adapt a basic petticoat structure to increase the amount of puffiness - Sugardale makes ten layer petticoats which become the feature of her dresses.

This is the structure I used:
More pictures to come soon - when I get the ribbon and finish the accompanying dress. I made this petticoat short/long enough to work with many dresses in my wardrobe, so hopefully I won't need to make another for quite a while...

1 comment:

  1. I can't sew to save myself so am very impressed you're making your own petticoat. Can't wait to see the end product!

    PS: Enter the Cosima Skincare giveaway today: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2013/07/cosima-organic-skincare-review-and.html

    ReplyDelete