Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sunday best

To close this week I've got the last two entries for the Laural competition. Some of the other entries are really impressive and have given me lots of ideas for future projects!

This blue version is a cotton drill nautical look, with wide collar and grograin ribbon embellishment.  I drafted the collar myself, normally I shy away from drafting my own alterations but it turned out well and I am happy with the finish, particularly the way it sits at the shoulders. The sleeved I used are from the Colette Macaron pattern - which I couldn't for the life of me get to not pucker at the armhole. I hate easing in sleeves but think I might have found a way to take out some of the ease for future attempts.


My last entry was following the instructions of the original pattern with a paisley print and a contrast bias edge for the neck and arms. This pattern really is a stash buster, as I was able to make this paisley dress with a scrap piece that wasn't enough to make anything else.




To round out the week my friend Anita and I hit up the Flemington Market. While the crafts and preserves were great to look at, turns out we were only really in it for the food. And the dutch pancakes were the.best.thing.ever. Will definitely be going back for these! It was also great to get an idea of how people present their product and what people are interested at purchasing at markets (food mostly). I've always had a keen interest in doing a market stall with my own crafts but finding a product and niche market is half the battle so as Anita said, I was doing "Market Research".



2 comments:

  1. Dear God! The nautical version is to DIE for! Amazing amazing amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your sailor Laurel!! I confess to loving it so much I plan on making my own version :) I am delighted to see that you are in the Reader's Choice category - good luck!

    ReplyDelete